Monday, February 9, 2015

A Speedy Run Through





We all enjoy the thrill of victory in our games, at least I hope we do. I know I've enjoyed the thrill of completing a game, especially when that game is long and drawn-out and particularly tough. But there's a particular kind of thrill when completing one of those long, drawn out games in what you might consider record time.


Just recently, I completed my own speed run for this new contest, unofficially, but I'd still call it a speed run. The night before the Super Bowl, I decided to rent Batman: Arkham Origins. Now, with a rental period hanging over my head, I knew I had to work fast to try to add this game. While it's probably not a record, I managed to beat the game in five days, just before the end of the rental period. Well, that win got me thinking of other times when I was forced to complete a game in record time.

Most people, to my knowledge, try this sort of thing for bragging rights. And let's face it, gamers, completing some games is a feat in an of itself, but completing them really fast deserves some special acclaim. But as for me, I usually had to do this sort thing because I didn't have a choice. Way back when, I rented a lot of games, so I had to work to complete them before the rental period ended. There was another reason too. In the case of some games, I was not able to save my progress.

You read that right. For systems that didn't save, I really had to rush. Now, for older systems, that wasn't so bad. Starting over on a Sega Genesis game was a lot different than starting over on one of the long 40+ hour titles. Of course, when you're 6 years old, it feels about the same. Anyway, with only five days to win and starting from square one as a penalty, I hustled through a lot of games.

Besides Arkham Origins a couple of games stand out in my mind as games that had to be some kind of record for speed runners. The reason being is I beat this in one day, and honestly, with how long they were, I didn't think it could be done. If I hadn't been there to see it myself, I probably would accuse someone of making it up if they were to brag about beating these games in one day.

Sonic Adventure
HowLongToBeat.Com lists this at 9 1/2 hours for the main story. I wasn't sure what my time was, but I'd start playing in the afternoon, and it would be nighttime by the time I reached the final boss. Boy, saving could have really helped me here. With six characters to play just to unlock the final boss and some long stages and a few tough bosses, this could really be a drawn out game.

Star Fox Adventures
Listed a little longer at 11 1/2 hours, this one could really try my patience. If you've never played it, basically it's The Legend of Zelda in space. They emphasized puzzle-solving in this game, and some of those puzzles really made me want to just turn the game off. But knowing that I'd be starting from square one again, I resisted. By the end of the day, my eyeballs felt like they were going to drop right out of my head. As with Sonic Adventure, a memory card would have been welcome. But somehow, I managed to make it all the way to the end.

Pikmin
Since it was already on a time-limit, this game really put a lot of pressure on me. Since I couldn't replay days, it was pretty much do or die for Captain Olimar. Most days, it seemed like it was more die than do. Yeah, let's take a game that's already stressful and add a little more stress by adding a self-imposed time limit.

Like I said, I'd probably accuse people of making it up if they were to say they beat these games in one day. Actually, you might accuse me of making it up...and I wouldn't blame you for it. Rest assured though, a lot of my speed runs saw me fail. There was more than one game that I've played that probably could not be beaten in one day no matter how hard one tried. Super Mario Sunshine comes to mind first off.

So, what's the fastest you've ever completed a long game? Any one day victories like some of mine?

Keep playing, gamers. Keep playing.

2 comments:

  1. One day victories: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (6 hours),

    Fastest I've completed a long game: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (about 17 hours) all 120 stars with Mario. (I unlocked Luigi and was like, nope. I ain't playing more. lol) (Plus I didn't look up where anything was.) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on NSMB Wii so that's pretty impressive, although it just didn't really call to me like some others.

      *bows* Oh, wow, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and all 120 stars. If you had done that recently, I'd say you deserve an honorary award for that one too.

      Delete