Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Backlog Blues - Part 2 Nintendo





So, it's finally the last month of 2014. We finally made it. And not to brag too much, but I'd say I'm doing pretty well for a personal record. The contest is one thing, but now, I'm more interested in seeing how many more I can win. But I digress. We're not here to discuss games...okay actually, we are.

Episode 2 of The Backlog Blues series features one of the now big three in the gaming business, and that would be Nintendo. Sega kind of dropped out when they stopped making hardware. Now, just about everything is either on or made by Nintendo. I still do miss Sega though. After all, the Genesis had some of my earliest memories. Oh, they crank out some decent games, but it's not the same without their own systems. Still, as devoted as I was to Sega, I couldn't help noticing some of what Nintendo had to offer at the time.

A lot of my Nintendo exposure was indirect. I'd play the little demo systems they'd have set up at game stores until my parents had to pull me away. Of course, my biggest dose of Nintendo came from a friend who happened to own a Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES for all you card carrying members). I got my first taste of Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on it, and I guess you could say I was hooked. From then on, I wanted to own one myself someday. One Christmas, I actually did. So, my library grew.

Fast forward a few years when the Nintendo 64 hit shelves. This was also back when there was a certain chain of rental stores that some of you might actually recognize - Blockbuster. Back in the day, they also rented systems, and that was my first look at the N64. Well, you can just about guess the rest. A few shots of Super Mario and Star Fox, and well, I decided I wanted one of those too.

So, here's the list of titles for both the Super Nintendo and the N64. Some of these you might recognize from the Genesis list, but you have to keep in mind that some of those I got my hands on only recently. Some of these I also downloaded on the Virtual Console, just in case. It's always nice to have a backup. And once again, games that are marked are games I've beaten for this contest.

Super Nintendo 

  1. The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
  2. Yoshi's Safari
  3. Earthworm Jim 2
  4. Super Mario All Stars
  5. Kirby's Avalanche
  6. Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool
  7. Disney's Goof Troop
  8. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  9. Donkey Kong Country
  10. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  11. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
  12. Jungle Strike
  13. Urban Strike
  14. NCAA Football
  15. Super Mario World
  16. Pac Man 2: The New Adventures
  17. Mickey Mania
  18. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  19. Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday
  20. Tom and Jerry
  21. Vegas Stakes

Nintendo 64

  1. Mario Kart 64
  2. Dr. Mario 64
  3. Bomberman 64
  4. Earthworm Jim 3D
  5. Harvest Moon 64
  6. Bomberman Hero
  7. Mario Party 3
  8. Super Mario 64
  9. Star Fox 64
  10. Yoshi's Story
  11. A Bug's Life
  12. Donkey Kong 64
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  14. Diddy Kong Racing
  15. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  16. Paper Mario
Some of these really weren't 'my games.' That NCAA Football game was more of my dad's than mine. Yes, my dad also played games. And sadly, my N64 copy of Ocarina of Time has bitten the dust. I also never got to play Yoshi's Safari. Go figure we'd buy the game but we never did find that light gun that you had to use. Still, all these were real marks on childhood and later years. Some measure their lives in years - I measure mine in eras of gaming.

So tell me, did you have any games for the SNES and/or Nintendo 64? What were your fond memories of those systems?

Keep playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment