Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Knight Got a Bit Darker





Hello again, readers, gamers, and all those who stumble upon my blog. Been a while since the last time I had anything to say about games, although I'd have plenty of material. I've got 80 games beaten so far, and I have to say, that's pretty good. So, I could tell you about any one of them, if I haven't done it already. I figured, I'd start off with the game that opened my wins for October, and what a game it was.
I heard about this game quite a few years ago. Don't ask me how many because I don't remember exactly. The main thing was I heard about it. What stopped me from getting it? Well, for starters, I didn't have a PS-anything when I first heard about it. It really puts a little damper on playing when you don't own the equipment. Then I read about it in this book titled 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die (an interesting read, but that's beside the point).

Well, to make a long story short, my sister finally got a PS3, and I finally caught sight of this game in a store. Three trips to said store later, I walked out ready to start my first real adventure as Gotham City's Dark Knight (LEGO Batman doesn't count). Oh, and as you can probably tell from the icon, I had to buy the Game of the Year edition. Figured I might as well.

For someone who's never read a Batman comic book (or any superhero comic book for that matter), I'd say this was a game that captured that dark, dismal town known as Gotham right off the pages. From what I understand, the comics were pretty dark when they first hit. Well, this game sure pays homage to it.

It starts off with Batman running his nemesis, the Joker, back to Arkham Asylum for what is probably the millionth time. I'll say one thing, the Clown Prince of Crime could probably outdo Houdini in terms of escapes. So, with the villain subdued, you'd think case closed right. Well, since this isn't a new game and it's just the beginning, I figure all of you would know the answer to that. Joker escapes, after strangling some guard, and wreaks havoc all over Arkham just to keep playing that sick game he plays with Batman. So, the story is pretty simple - fight your way through the asylum, subdue all the maniacs that happen to be running loose with anything and everything they can get their hands on, and finally confront the Joker. All the rest is pretty much the stuff of comics.

I thought the controls were more than decent. With only one button to attack, one button to defend, one button to escape, it's pretty easy to pick up, although they do throw a few curve balls at you in terms of combat later on. Still, it's not that complicated. There's no lengthy combos to memorize, and I like that you can turn the odds in your favor by using Batman's impressive arsenal of gadgets. I especially enjoyed setting explosive traps.

Another part I liked, actually, my favorite part, had to be the stealth moments. Sneaking up on some thug and taking them down or dropping down on them from a hanging gargoyle was a real blast. It was even better after getting the aptly named Inverted Takedown move. All I had to do was wait until they walked a little too close and then BAM, Batman drops down and hangs them upside down by the gargoyle. Yep, that was pretty fun to pull off. I'd say that for a guy as serious and stoic as Batman, he can have a bit of fun. Oh come on, don't tell me you've never had a bit of amusement waiting to scare someone? On the other hand, you probably weren't waiting to punch someone's lights out, and the intended victim didn't have a 22. caliber gun in their hands either.

I'll admit,that did take some getting used to, dealing with armed goons without getting shot. I did get the hang of it though...after a few times getting gunned down.

Graphics and sound were really solid, maybe a little too solid in the former case. They sure could create a downright unsettling atmosphere in certain places, especially like in the Penitentiary. I found myself wondering if they added loads of blood and gore and super-creepy monsters if it would be anything like how the town of Silent Hill is. Oh, I'm sure it's much worse, but still. The sound is good, but the voice cast is great, especially Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I'd say it's true when I read that his performance was one of the top portrayals of the character.

But there's also some other things to be said about this game.

I'll come right out and say it, this is really the greatest Batman game I've played, albeit one of the few I've played. Now, before I go on, I wouldn't really call this game 'fun.' Don't get me wrong, it was a blast to play, but I found myself wincing with some of the tougher blows Batman delivered, and let's face it, an asylum with loads of psychos running around isn't exactly a good time. As I'd walk around, I kept thinking about just how gloomy it was with dead guards lying all over or just waiting for some nut case to try and jump me, which made me jump. And while it wasn't so bad later on, that first encounter with a certain doctor who we all know as Scarecrow certainly was creepy. As bad as that was, to me, it was nothing compared to wandering Killer Croc's lair, unsure of when he'd actually strike. I was on edge the whole time.

The best way I can describe this game is how you don't just watch The Dark Knight movie for casual entertainment.

I've already started on Arkham City. Now, that is a tough and gloomy looking town. So far, I think it takes the same qualities of Arkham Asylum and just amps it up. Of course, I'm nowhere near finished, but I just thought I'd say.

Anyway, enough about what I thought. What did you think of this game? Did you think any of the same? Which moments did you think were the best? There is one other question I'd like to ask - what's the DLC like? Is it worth my time at all?

Keep playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment