Thursday, April 9, 2015

The High Scores of Video Games





I bet I know what you're thinking when you read this title. You're thinking about those numbers that start out at 0 and go up as you clear levels, beat enemies, grab stuff, or whatever you do. On a video game blog, that would be probably be the assumption, and I probably could devote a post to talk about some high scores I've gotten. But I have a different kind of score in mind.

*grabs baton*

That's right, I'm talking about music.


I think we can all agree on just how important music is for a good video game. Yes, there are other factors in play (no pun intended) that determine just how good a video game is. If the gameplay isn't up to or better still above par, the game isn't going to be good. If the controls aren't well done, the game isn't going to be good. And there are still others. I've played games where it seemed like they were just out to get me. Some were boring, some were confusing, and I could probably go on and on. But every game should at least have a good set of tunes.

I think the same rules that apply to music in movies apply to games. Just as the right music can really set the tone of a scene, it can also help set the tone of the game or the level. Music can really get you into the experience. I mean, really, would a lighthearted game like Super Mario World be the same without its equally light-sounding tunes? Or would that creepy forest/haunted house level have the same impact without some eerie noise in the background? Or would the boss battles have the same intensity without the right music to set the field of battle? Or would a virtual race be the same without some kind of rock 'n roll soundtrack?

Is this ringing true with anyone? Come on, players; I know we're all gripping the controls for dear life (especially in that race game) but don't tell me you've never noticed the music.

Now, I've played a lot of games. My scores from last year should tell you that. I've heard a lot of different musical numbers from all kinds of games over the years. Some were better than others, but here's a few that I really enjoyed. There are ones that I could almost put on my iPod if they sold video game soundtracks. Of course, in some cases, they do.

So here we go in no particular order:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

I'm talking about the old Genesis version here. Even for an old game, I really enjoyed its soundtrack. This is one example, taken from stage 3, The Storm. It's hard to really say why I like this one, but I do. It's just a song that stays with you, at least I thought it was. There's any number of songs I could have taken from here, but this is one I really enjoyed.



Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

Again, sticking with the oldies but goodies. This game is a prime example of just how music can set the mood with the sound of the Viking Ship level. Now, for those of you who don't know the game, Donald finds himself on a hunted Viking ship, and with this music, it really sets the mood right.


Sonic the Hedgehog

From start to finish, this game had some catchy tunes, but to me, the Final Zone was the catchiest. It really set the proper stage for Sonic to have that long-awaited showdown with Dr. Robotnik.


Of course, the music for Star Light Zone is also worth mentioning. The serene sounds really suit the starry backdrop. It could almost make you forget you were above a bottomless pit for most of the level...almost I said.


And on the topic of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic R was another favorite of mine, music-wise. The game wasn't the best racing game they ever had, but that soundtrack was just great. It made the game worth a playthrough or two, just to hear it. I won't post a video since it's hard for me to single one out.

As games went on, the music almost did take on a cinematic tone, especially during the credits. So, with that in mind, here's a couple of those ending songs to finish off this post.

I Am the Wind - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

This song had a lot of great music, from the nearly maddening sounds in the Catacombs to the beauty of the Royal Chapel. But to me, the best piece of the whole game was the ending theme. I've heard some say that this song didn't fit, but I respectfully disagree. I think it was the perfect ending to an amazing game.


And last but not least, one of the ending songs that will always be a favorite of mine.

Live and Learn - Sonic Adventure 2

Don't get me wrong, Sonic Adventure had a great soundtrack, but Sonic Adventure 2 edged it out a bit. At least I think so. I know when I first heard this song, I thought it was just great for the final boss, and the main theme to boot. It's fast pace really gave a sense of urgency for the final boss. And on a more superficial note, I just think it sounds really cool.



I could probably keep this post going on forever with how many songs I've enjoyed from video games. But I'll have a heart and end it there. But I hope that you readers have some of the same appreciation for video game music. To me, some games just wouldn't be the same without the right music.

So, what about you? What tunes from the games really stand out to you? Which ones hit the high notes to you, and which ones hit the sour notes?

Keep playing (and listening).

No comments:

Post a Comment