Friday, March 20, 2015

The Best in Casual Gaming





It seems that some genres get more attention than others. It seems to me that genres like action, shooter, or even RPG get a lot of attention, at least on the console front. And you know, I'm fine with that. I enjoy a good action-packed romp or a deep story through some fantasy world as most RPGs tend to lean. But sometimes, I feel like something a little more...casual.

Enter the match-3 game and all the derivatives.

Now, here's a genre that doesn't seem to be too well noticed on the console front. I don't know how long it's been since I saw one of these on a console, although I can understand why. Let's face it, the casual game isn't one that really has a lot to offer in the way of anything new. You can put a new twist on the design, but the basic plot is one that really can't be changed...especially since there is no plot. But still, these games are pretty fun.

Now, believe it or not, I didn't really grow up playing match-3's or games like them. I had Tetris on my old Game Boy, but I never understood it. It's embarrassing, but I never knew just what to do with all those blocks falling from the sky. So, my games usually ended quickly. As I got a bit older, I learned to enjoy them. I can't say my taste grew a bit more sophisticated, but at least I knew what I was doing.

After I got the idea, I decided to give some other games like this a shot. So, whenever I saw one available for a console or handheld that looked interesting, I went for it. Yeah, the games never were all that much, but they came in handy to get my fix of games when I didn't feel like anything too involving. Most people I know play solitaire. I play Dr. Mario.

Since I don't own an iPhone or anything, I can't really enjoy the addictive gameplay of titles like Candy Crush. So, it makes me a little sad when casual games don't get that kind of attention. Oh, there's been games like Bejeweled (which I can no longer play for free on my PC), but really, there hasn't been a lot of games that I've played. But I've played a few and here are my top pics for the good old matching games.

Number 5: Bejeweled 2

Yes, this is a big name in the matching game, but it's not my go-to game. It's a fun game, and on my PC, the graphics look incredible. In fact, it was this game that prompted me to buy my current PC. But it had one big problem. After so many plays, it started asking me to pay. And no matter how good a game is, I'm not going to want to keep paying to play.

Number 4: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

This wasn't one of my top games, but it was still good for an occasional play. At least I didn't have to pay for it, except for the initial purchase price. It's a fun but sometimes frustrating game inspired by the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons. Of course, I didn't know that when I first played. All I knew was this game was long and really difficult. To this day, I still find it the most frustrating of all my matching games.

Number 3: Kirby's Avalanche

Even though it's basically the same as number 4, I found Kirby's Avalanche a bit better, and by better, I mean easier. Oh, I still lost, but it didn't seem as out-to-get-you. Plus, I rather enjoyed the music of this title over the almost maddening sounds of Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M. It didn't seem as grating to me. So, I'd say it really worked as one of those casual games, and somehow, I find myself playing it more than once.

Number 2: Kirby's Star Stacker

Another Kirby game takes the spot, and this was one I discovered only recently. It lacks the color of Kirby's Avalanche, but it makes up for it with an addictive. I don't know why I find it so addicting because when I first played it, I was feeling overwhelmed by the number of levels, especially on the aptly-named Insane difficulty. But now that I've beaten them all, I find myself returning to it, just to see how many stars I can actually stack.

And my top pic for the matching-tile casual game is...the envelop please.

Number 1: Dr. Mario

This one sat in mothballs for a while, although I never got to play the original NES game. Still, the Game Boy Advance version makes up for it. I don't know what it is, but after I played this one again, I just kept wanting to play some more, just to see how well I could destroy viruses in a jar. I'd say if I had to pick a game that could be my Candy Crush, this would be it. It's hard to describe it, but I just really enjoy this game when I'm not in the mood to play anything overly long or complicated. Although, Kirby's Star Stacker would be the next best for me.

With the exception of Bejeweled, I played most of these at one point or another for the Guide2Games contest. I guess I figured that they'd be an easy win, and for the most part they were, although sometimes, they could still manage to get me a bit irritated. But when you're just playing for the fun of it, I find games like these to be the most fun. Yes, they lack action, plot, and just about everything else, but, hey, sometimes chicken nuggets can taste better than a steak at the Ritz...or was it a hot dog? But you get my meaning.

So, what about the rest of you? What matching game do you enjoy for just a casual play? Or do you prefer another kind of casual game? Don't be bashful. I think we all have one we like.

Keep playing, gamers.

No comments:

Post a Comment