Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ending Recap for September





So, it's the end of the month. I know there's not a lot of them left. We'll be finding out who our winner is in about 3 months, give or take a day. Still, I figured I'd take advantage of what few times I can post this, my ending recap. So, here's what we saw in September.

As far as the listing goes, things are pretty much unchanged. Yours truly is still managing to hold on to 1st place with a grand total of 76 wins. Now, lest you think that's impressive, the competition is still pretty fierce. boyward stands firmly in 2nd place with 65 wins, and former front-runner Sargus holds 3rd place with 51 wins. megabuster has added enough wins to keep him at 4th with 44 wins, and smash is in real danger of losing his position at 5th place to Nelson S. who is only two wins short of tying for 5th.

We've also seen some big numbers put in from our two front-runners. While I may hold first place, I managed only 13 wins throughout the month of September. boyward managed to add more wins this month with 14, so I'd say if anyone could knock me down to 2nd, he can. Based on these numbers, I'd say it'll probably be a tooth-and-nail battle between boyward and myself. Of course, I've said it myself throughout this entire contest, I don't plan on winning, but I'm sure going to go down fighting.

While I can't comment on the difficulty of boyward's wins, I can say I think I added quite a few quality wins. Fire Emblem, Super Metroid, and Mario & Sonic were all pretty challenging, at least I thought so. I'm sure boyward's wins were well deserved, and I hate to toot my own horn, but after scoring those wins, I thought I'd really accomplished something, even for video games.

And speaking of accomplishments, even though Nelson S. only added 5 wins for September, he added a very, very impressive win in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Even though the contest is about quantity, I'd also say that quality counts, and a win like that is without a doubt a high quality win. Believe me, I've played Skyward Sword, and it is not an easy game to win. I took a lot of time outs in that game, but even if I had gone straight through without stopping, I don't think I could have managed to complete the game in the amount of time he managed. Of course, I'd like to see anyone play Skyward Sword like that in the first place. I've beaten my share of long games, some even over one day, but that is a game like no other. So, well done, Nelson S. You really deserve some applause for that.

September brought a number of firsts for me as well. Super Metroid was my first win for the entire Metroid series. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games was my first victory for that small, sports spin-off. And I also got the chance to add a brand new game called Shovel Knight.Of the three of them, I'd probably say Shovel Knight was the most memorable. That game just had a certain charm to it, reminiscent of the older games of yesteryear, which is what I think they were going for. Don't want to go too far into that, since I may do a post about the experience.

So, as we wind down this month, what kind of games might we see put up in October? Well, I don't know about the others, but I know what I'm working on. Currently, I'm juggling a bunch of games that aren't the kind to be beaten quickly. Among those I'm hoping to add this coming month are Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and the more lighthearted Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. Others will join them, but these are the ones I'm hoping will be among my wins this month. Whether they will be or not, only time will tell...time and the amount of battery in my 3DS, DS, and Wii remote.

And that concludes this month's recap. See you all in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment