Sunday, October 4, 2015

Bump in the Night - The Scariest Moments in Games.




Well, it's that time of year. October is here. Only a short while until we have this years winner. Hey time flies. Now, most of my readers probably will flip out when they hear this, but October will also bring what was one of my favorite holidays. That's right, I'm talking about Halloween. Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I enjoyed it solely for the candy...that and bringing my favorite knight costume out of mothballs. Of course, now that I'm a bit older, I can get just the candy from the store. Much less work. Besides, there are too many games to play to worry about dressing up. Plus, my knight costume probably wouldn't fit me anymore.


While Halloween is certainly a heated topic in some circles, I thought it fitting that for this time of year, when things start to get a little spooky and all the little ghosts and goblins (otherwise known as kids) come out to play, to talk about some of the spookiest and scariest moments in gaming.

Now, I know what you're thinking. It's just a game. What is there to be scared of? Well, even games can have their moments that make you jump or parts that make you quiver at the thought of experiencing or re-experiencing. If they didn't, the survival-horror genre probably would have taken off. Not that I play those mind you. I can't stand the sight of too much blood. Still, I will admit, some games have freaked me out on occasion.

So, here are the top virtual bump-in-the-night moments for me in no particular order.


JumpStart Adventures 4th Grade: Haunted Island

Okay, this probably makes me a big sissy, but I admit to being afraid to play this game. I wasn't at first. I could roam around the island no problem. I didn't even mind getting lost so much...well actually I did. The thing that made this game scary for me was Repsac, the roaming ghost that you would run into from time to time. Now, against the blue of the background, he didn't scare me so much. But once, I ran into him inside the game's labyrinth, which lacked the blue background, and all at once, he seemed much, much scarier. I never wanted to roam the island again. Oh, I finished the game, but I did everything I could to avoid seeing Repsac.


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Yes, even favorites can scare in, and I think just about every Zelda fan is afraid of the Shadow Temple. I don't know whether it's the music or just the idea that you're inside a crypt, but that place gave me the shivers. Even today, I still get a little jittery going down the well or entering the Shadow Temple. Of course, the ReDeads in Wind Waker were way more disturbing, but the Shadow Temple is definitely on my fright list.

Donkey Kong 64

Once again, only one area gave me a real scare, although I did have to turn the volume all the way down in areas where that one enemy would say, "get out." But Creepy Castle was a lot worse for me, especially when it came time to enter the catacombs under the castle. I especially got scared when one of the kongs had to enter the Skull Crypt. Again, I think it was a combination of the music and the atmosphere, but I hated it. I don't even think turning the volume down would have helped, what with bones lining the walls. Somehow, I think it would have made it just a bit worse to have the game as silent as the dead, as the case was.


Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

For a game that wasn't overall scary, the level Bridge over the River Ty really managed to make up for it. Now, in real life, I hate spiders. I think they are some of the ugliest, most repulsive creatures around. Plus, they always manage to take you by surprise. Turn around, and whoa, there's one right there. So, imagine how unnerving it was to have a level where you have virtual spiders doing the same thing. Needless to say, I jumped every time. *shudders*

Batman: Arkham Asylum

This was more of a suspenseful-than-scary moment, although Scarecrow sure managed to freak me out when I met him in the asylum's morgue. But Killer Croc's lair was, to me, worse. For one reason, it was a lot longer. I remember making my way slowly forward, and just waiting for the next attack. I always had a batarang ready, but the waiting just made it an altogether frightening moment. I was never happier to get out of that area.

So those are my most memorable frights, jumps, and scares in video games. Hope I didn't come across as too big a sissy, but what can I say.

Now, that I've revealed what games scared me, what moments in games really gave you a fright? The whole game doesn't have to be a scare-fest, but come on, surely I'm not the only one that's had some frightening moments in gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment