Saturday, August 8, 2015

My Virtual Sports Heroes





Well, well, look who decided to update. Me, that's who. Yeah, I know I haven't exactly been the best at keeping up lately, but hey, life gets in the way sometimes...and school...and more life...you get the idea. So, here's what your friendly neighborhood SeriousGamer has to say now.

I've always been a fan of games that let you create your own characters. From the game of life known as The Sims to the space-epic known as Knights of the Old Republic. I enjoyed building up my own characters from scratch. Little did I suspect then that I would be doing it for another genre of games - sports games.

Now, I've never been a huge sports fan. I touched on this in another topic, but even coming from a family that was die-hard into football, it never rubbed off on me. So for a while sports games were out of the question, unless they did something like Mario-tize it. Yes, I did just make that word up. That was the only way I'd ever get into any kind of sport. Well, then I tried it, and I found myself finally getting it.

I never quite understood why people admired athletes the way they did until I started playing sports games, and in one case actually becoming a fan of the sport. I especially didn't like it when they called players 'heroes.' But I guess it can't be helped when you admire someone for being willing to take the field and do what they do. I'm getting a bit off-topic, I know, but there is a point to this. Going back to how I opened this, I created a number of such sports 'heroes' and so, I thought I would introduce you to some of them. Well, actually, all of them, seeing as I don't have that many.

Now, this list is not complete by any means. Some of my sports characters haven't gone far, and some will probably be built from the ground up again. But here's my crew. Actually, I guess you could call them my sports family. You'll see what I mean.

So, here's the team. I'll give the name, the game, and why I enjoyed the experience.

Lexi Peters - NHL 12


This was my very first venture into the role of sports games, at least proper sports. I told a bit about Lexi way back in another post but that was more of a passing mention. Anyway, Lexi is my now-starting center for the Washington Capitals, and man, it's been a blast. With her, (yes, I said her), I've taken the Capitals to the Stanley Cup Finals, and it's not over yet. Since hockey has become my favorite sport, Lexi has become my favorite of the sports 'heroes' I've made. And even after finding out I picked a girl the first time, I got pretty used to her. I mean, what an underdog story that would make. And just about every time I take the ice with her, I enjoy the fast pace, and the thrill of hearing that buzzer go off when she scores. But one big highlight was during the playoffs, and Lexi took down another skater on a check. Though she be but small, she is fierce.

Alexander Peters - MLB 09: The Show


Yes, this is another Peters, and now you see why I said it was more a sports family. I got so used to Lexi Peters, that I decided to create my own sports family dynasty, so to speak. So, I created the first-baseman, Alexander Peters. His career hasn't gone far. He's still in training with the Washington Nationals. At first, I made him to play for the Mets, but it didn't quite work out. Then I tried with the Rays, and it still didn't work out. There were some highlights though...like hitting a home run. Don't know if I'll try to take Alexander to the show, but we'll see.

Gabriel Peters - NBA2K10


Yet another Peters that didn't see a lot of action, but he will. I had to delete my saves, but I plan to recreate them. Hopefully, I'll have more on Gabriel then. And I don't know, it just seemed liked the right name for a basketball player.

Leroy Peters - FIFA 10


He's seen a bit more action than Alexander and Gabriel, but really the only highlight I have with my 'football' player is he scored the only two goals for his team that took the lead and the game. I guess soccer wasn't my sport yet. But he'll go places.

Rick 'The Warrior' Peters - Fight Night Round 3


Well, finally, we have another Peters that accomplished something. After three games that I didn't see through, I created a champ for my boxing game, and what a champ he was. He could take hits, but more importantly, I made Rick into a powerhouse, and when he threw his signature haymaker (originally used by one 'Smokin' Joe Frazier), I thought I even felt it. Rick had a perfect record in fights, and I had him retire at 39-0. I never did get the fight I wanted against Muhammad Ali, but I didn't mind too much. The whole game was a big highlight for me.

Gary Peters - Madden NFL 12

 

Out of the ring and back to the field, Gary was my half-back for the Green Bay Packers. At first, he was going to play for the Redskins, but being my first run at football, I thought I'd better have some insurance. I made Gary into an all-around player, but he still got tackled a lot. But when I broke through, man, could he pour it on. Case in point, the Packers were backed against their own 10-yard line. I got the ball, and I broke through the lines, and then I pushed Gary all the way to the end zone - A 90 yard touchdown. Now, that's a high point. The Packers went undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl.


Nick 'Punisher' Peters - EA Sports MMA

 

My most recent member of the Peters family followed in the footsteps of Rick Peters, only instead of boxing, it was quite a bit more. Hailing from DC (much like Lexi), Nick was a Muay Thai fighter, and the name I picked really suited how I had him fight. In the clinch, I dominated opponents with elbow and knee shots. Standing, Nick would strike with hard punches and the occasional roundhouse kick that sometimes knocked the opponent out. On the ground, Nick reversed position often and then pounded hard. And in a submission hold that wasn't a choke hold, Nick could get the tap every time. He went 40-0 and that was a highlight in and of itself.

So, there are. I made add more Peters as time goes on. We'll see. All I know is, I've had fun with this sports family. So, what about you readers? Do you kind of follow a 'theme' when you make characters of your own? It doesn't even have to be in sports games.

Until next time, keep playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment